X-ray, Ultrasound and Echocardiography services are offered by Haliburton Highlands Health Services in the Diagnostic Imaging Department.
Routine X-Ray appointments may be booked 7 days a week between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m.
Routine Ultrasound and Echocardiography appointments may be booked Monday, Tuesdays and Thursday between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.
To book an appointment:
Phone: 705-457-1392 ext. 2381 or Fax the requisition to 705-457-5173
All Diagnostic Imaging Examinations Require:
- A signed requisition
- An appointment
- A valid Provincial Health Card
- pdf Xray / Ultrasound Requisition Form (253 KB)
- pdf Echocardiogram Requistion Form (205 KB)
- BMD Requisition Form
**All cancellations must be made 24 hours in advance.
The Diagnostic Imaging Team consists of highly trained individuals who provide exceptional care to all patients. The core Team members are:
- Radiologists – physicians specialized in image interpretation
- Medical Radiation Technologists (Radiography) – licensed by the College of Medical Radiation Technologists of Ontario, trained to perform examinations in General Radiography
- Sonographers – certified by the Canadian Association of Registered Diagnostic Ultrasound Professionals, trained to perform Ultrasound and/or Echocardiography examinations
- Clerical Support staff
HHHS shares a Picture Archiving and Communication System (PACS) with Ross Memorial Hospital which is also integrated with the provincial data image repository (HDIRS). This allows images to be shared with other member hospitals for consultation as required. CD's of studies are only required if the physician cannot access HDIRS.
X-ray services are provided at both the Haliburton and Minden sites 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. A Medical Radiation Technologist is on site from 8:00 a.m.-8:00 p.m. and is on call for emergency services the remaining 8:00 p.m.-8:00 a.m.
Ultrasound and Echocardiography Services
Through generous donations by the HHHS Foundation and the communities within Haliburton County, HHHS now provides Ultrasound and Echocardiography within the Haliburton Emergency Department.
A Diagnostic Imaging Requisition form is utilized by all physician offices and the Family Health Team for those requiring this service.
An Sonographer is on site three days each week.
Ultrasound is a non invasive test using high frequency sound waves to image a variety of structures within the body. Echocardiography is a special type of ultrasound used to image the heart.
Obstetrical, Gynecological and Pelvic Examinations (including Prostate)
- A full bladder is very important for this type of examination. Please finish drinking 32 ounces (4 large glasses) of clear liquid (not milk) one hour before your appointment time. Do not empty your bladder after drinking the liquid.
Abdominal (liver, pancreas, gall bladder, kidneys)
- AM appointments: Nothing to eat or drink after 12:00 midnight. No breakfast.
- PM appointments: Patient may have a light fat-free breakfast, no lunch.
- Pediatrics (0-2 yrs.) Nothing to eat or drink two hours prior to appointment time.
All other examinations
- No preparation is required, unless specified by your physician. Please read the physician referral form and follow your doctor's instructions.
- No preparation needed for Echocardiography.
It is the responsibility of the patient to follow-up with their referring physician for the results of the examination.
Please respect that the Hospital requests a FRAGRANCE FREE environment.